For 20 minutes of Steve Jobs’ live, he was an architect, presenting the newly proposed Apple campus known as the spaceship to Cupertino City Council. No info yet on who’s the architect, definitely not Zaha Hadid or Frank Gehry (Thank god for that). Looks like the disc blade in Tron.
Key facts about the new Apple campus:
- Design will include a courtyard in the middle and curved glass all the way around.
- Jobs is planning on transforming an area that’s 20% landscaping to 80% landscaping by putting most of the building’s parking underground.
- There are 3,700 trees in the area at the moment, Jobs has hired an arborist from Stanford to take the area up to 6,000 trees.
- The plan is to build a four-story high building and four-story parking structure.
- The campus will incude an energy center, and natural gas will be the primary source of power, using the grid as backup.
- There will be an auditorium, fitness center and some R & D buildings.
- Jobs plans a 40% increase in Apple employees going from 9,500 today to 13, 000 in 2015.
- He wants to increase the campus’ space 20% from 2.6 million to 3.1 million square feet.
- Landscaping will increase 60% from 3,700 to 6,000.
- Surface parking will decrease 90% from 9,800 to 1,200 .
- The building footprint will decrease 30% from 1.4 million to 1 million.
- Cafeterias will fit 3,000 people at a sitting.
- The whole building will be designed with the utmost concern for employee safety.
- Apple currently has 20 buses running on bio-diesel fuel for its employees and Jobs thinks that system will work well with the new campus.
- The plan for the new design will submitted asap, and Jobs hopes to break ground next year and move in 2015.
Image and info source via Techcrunch